Sunday, July 11, 2010

Bookbinding = love


Yeah, it's been kind of awhile since I posted, and this one won't be long.  I just really liked this book that I made in bookbinding, and figured I'd post it (you can pretend that I took the time to set up a nice background for the photo).  It's an old style of bookbinding called coptic stitch binding that doesn't have a spine--you stitch together a bunch of little booklets called signatures.  Also, I decorated the paper that I used for the book cover using walnut ink, watercolors, rubbing alcohol, and salt.  It was so much fun!  This is definitely my favorite class this term, though my other classes aren't too bad.  I'm also in figure drawing, which I'm enjoying a lot more now that I'm actually starting to be semi-talented at it, and head painting, which is... an experience.  The class goes from Monday through Thursday for 3 hours a day, and you pretty much just come in and paint a new painting every day.  The basic theory behind the class seems to be that if you paint the human head enough, you'll eventually start doing something right.  I guess it works, because I've definitely improved since my first painting (which I may never show to a living soul ever), but out of about 10 or 11 paintings, I've still only produced about 3 that I would ever admit that I painted.  This class has definitely been good for me, though--painting people has become a lot less intimidating.  I may even post something I paint someday--who knows??

In other news, I recently turned 21, and partied it up at... um... Brick Oven Pizza.  But there was apple beer involved!  Non-alcoholic, of course, but it still has the word "beer", which makes it legit.  We also went to see Toy Story 3, which I highly recommend to anybody who's still missing out on it.  For my birthday, I got clothes, jewelry, money for a new keyboard, and a Vienna Teng piano book from Chris that I'm sure he's regretted getting me a million times by now, since he just doesn't like Vienna Teng as much as I do.  Maybe it has something to do with the fact that she's practically the only artist I ever listen to these days.  Poor guy, just can't handle hearing the same songs a hundred times in a week like I can.  I wonder what's wrong with him.

2 comments:

Jacquelyn Sherry said...

That book is gorgeous!

Olivia Carter said...

ACKKKKK! I want to do bookbinding! I'm jealous and I love, love, love this book! Lovely.