Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Christmas trees, and more gouache love

Chris and I decided to get ourselves a Christmas tree the other day. We went to Walmart looking for a tree stand because Chris really wanted a live tree, but apparently they've been all sold out since Thanksgiving--is there some increased demand for live Christmas trees that we're unaware of? Anyway, we don't have much room for a tree, so we ended up buying one of those little fiber-optic trees, and lighting a tree-scented candle so we can pretend it's real. Here it is:

And here we are:


With finals basically over and my new job taking forever to start, I've pretty much been hanging at home this week. It's been really, really nice to finally get to take a break; I was finally able to go out yesterday and get Chris's Christmas present, and I'm finishing up thank-you's today (umm.... yeah). Today, though, I had the urge to get those art supplies out again--specifically the gouache--and I started messing around. I didn't make anything amazing, but I did end up with this little painting.


This is actually really small--probably about 3 inches tall, or less. It doesn't look a ton like the picture I was painting from, but I was mostly just messing around with shading on the face and I didn't do a sketch beforehand, so I'm okay with that. For the curious, this is actually Emma Watson (you know--Hermione). She's started doing some modeling recently, and I found her in one of my magazines. Her pictures don't actually look much like here--way more makeup than she ever wears in the movies. It makes for some fun contrast, though.

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

I'm so impressed with your drawing! My messing around would be a stick figure with curly hair.

Nick and Sarah Leonard said...

Nothing wrong with a stick figure! But Bonnie is right, your drawings make our stick figures look awful. Do you guys have any pics of your apartment anywhere? We want to see it! Hope all is well! -nick

Melissa said...

I think this is stunning...